It’s theoretically fall in the Midwest. Even with our hot temperatures and fluctuating weather, it is clear the days are shortening and the nights are getting cooler. There are leaves to be raked, well more like a blanket of them. Halloween decorations and fall fun are in full gear at the kids’ school (which means I should probably get their costumes soon–#neverontopofthings).
And there is pumpkin.
All the things pumpkin.
I already made my baked pumpkin oatmeal this week.
Then today, I cranked out some healthier chocolate chip pumpkin muffins to satisfy your sweet tooth. I just don’t really get sick of it.
Plus, this is a simple one-bowl recipe that won’t dirty the entire kitchen. It makes muffins that meet various dietary constraints too.
gluten-free (with gluten-free oats)
dairy free (with a nut-free option)
kid-friendly (as with most things containing chocolate chips!)
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup almond milk (or milk of your choice)
- 2 cups oat flour (simply process oats in your food processor)*
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips (vegan, if preferred)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a muffin tin or prep with liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine all wet ingredients well.
- Add the dry ingredients (except chocolate chips) to the bowl and mix well.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour into the prepared muffin tin, about ¾ full.
- Bake 16-18 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- *You can keep oat flour on hand like I do by making a big batch ahead of time. Alternately, you can make this WHOLE RECIPE in the food processor or blender. Just use about 2¼ cups of oats (as they condense when they are processed). Add everything and press GO! SUPER EASY with minimal clean up.
Make a batch of these as you sashay into the weekend. Let me know your other favorite pumpkin recipes too….I’m thinking pumpkin cookies and pumpkin granola are up next….