Some weeks I totally have it together when it comes to meal preparation. This week was not one them. I just couldn’t bring myself to get to the grocery store. I still haven’t. The pickings are getting slimmer and slimmer, but I am also getting more creative ;).
Between busy schedules and sleep deprivation, I just couldn’t do a grocery store trip at 9pm after the kids were asleep. I mean, half the time, I have fallen asleep with the kids. Nor have I convinced myself to take two rascally kiddos grocery shopping and actually be held accountable to my list of necessities.
But alas, we had to eat.
Enter the clean-out-the-refrigerator meal that is super simple and quick. You can have it on the table in about 15 minutes, especially if you chop veggies ahead or use a package of frozen veggies. I hesitate to even claim this is a “recipe”, as it generally a compilation of ingredients. But it tastes good enough, that I justify calling it a recipe. It’s even healthy.
Basically, I threw together a few cups of fresh veggies, Trader Joe’s Organic Riced Cauliflower (I always keep this in my freezer! My kids love it too!), two eggs, and coconut aminos. This is not a Trader Joe’s advertisement, but I also love to top this meal with their Everything But the Bagel Sesame Seasoning. My 3-year old even claims this is his favorite spice.
This recipe is also really versatile. Other possibilities include:
Adding brown rice to the cauliflower rice.
Adding chicken, or the protein of your choice.
Using a bag of frozen mixed veggies for an even quicker meal.
- 3 cups chopped veggies (I used carrots, broccoli, and mushrooms)
- 2 Tbs oil (sesame oil preferably, but olive oil works fine too)
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 package of Trader Joe's Organic Riced Cauliflower (or freshly riced cauliflower)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup coconut aminos (or soy sauce if you'd like)
- 1 tsp of salt (omit if you use soy sauce)
- Optional sprinkle of Trader Joe's Everything But the Bagel Sesame Seasoning (because it's just that good)
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add veggies and garlic.
- Saute for about five minutes, until the veggies start to soften.
- Add the bag of riced cauliflower; cook until heated through.
- Make a well in the middle of the pan, turn the heat down, and add the eggs.
- Mix well until the eggs are thoroughly incorporated and cooked.
- Add coconut aminos and salt. Mix well.
- Top with seasoning and/or extra salt and pepper if desired.
A little note: if you use coconut aminos, as I did since I’m allergic to soy, make sure you add a good dose of salt. If you use soy sauce, this is unnecessary.
Let me know what quick weeknight meals are your go-to recipes! I’m always searching for more….